Erie home and auto insurance review 2022
Erie Insurance is a great option for people who can get it, as the rates the company offers are among the best available, and its customer service is widely praised. The only drawbacks of Erie’s auto, renters and home insurance to consider are whether the company provides coverage in your area and the company’s relative lack of online tools.
Thêm Heading của bạn tại đây
The bottom line:
- Top-of-the-line insurance company with great prices, but limited to a select region.
- The company is popular with consumers but operates in only 12 states and Washington, D.C.
Pros & Cons
Erie auto insurance coverage
When you’re shopping for car insurance, it’s important to understand what car insurance coverage you want and what you’re required to buy. Most states require car insurance in order to drive a vehicle. Although minimum coverage requirements vary from state to state, they generally include liability insurance and uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage.
If you want extra protection, you may be interested in full coverage insurance. Full coverage isn’t a specific policy type; it’s a combination of coverage types, like liability, collision and comprehensive insurance.
Check out the most common types of car insurance coverage below to see how they work:
- Accident Forgiveness: Your rates won’t increase in your first at-fault accident after three years of safe driving with Erie. This feature is included with a standard policy.
- Windshield Repair: If your windshield can be repaired instead of replaced, Erie will waive the deductible to fix it.
- Personal Property: Erie will cover up to $350 of personal property that is inside an insured vehicle. This feature is included with a standard policy.
- Pet Injury: Pays for up to $500 of expenses if your dog or cat is injured in a car accident. This coverage is included with a standard policy.
- Gap Coverage: If your car is a total loss, gap coverage pays the difference between your vehicle’s replacement cost and what you have left on your lease or loan.
- Roadside Assistance: Erie’s roadside assistance coverage pays for lockouts, towing and other help you might need while driving.
- Rental Car/Transportation Expenses: This feature covers the cost of a rental car or other transportation expenses while your car is being repaired after an accident. It is included with comprehensive coverage.
- New/Better Car Replacement: If your car is totaled in an accident, Erie will pay the difference for you to upgrade to a model up to two years newer.
Highlighted Benefit: Rate Lock
One of the most notable optional benefits Erie provides is its “Rate Lock” offering. If you have a safe driving history and add Rate Lock to your policy, Erie will only increase your auto insurance rates if you add or remove a car or driver from your policy, or change your address.
Otherwise, your premiums will stay the same year after year, even if you get in an accident or make a claim to your insurance. However, if you get in an accident, your policy increase will catch up with you when you do update your policy.
Erie Auto Insurance Discounts
Beyond its already-affordable rates, Erie Insurance offers several discounts to its customers to lower their costs even more, though the discounts offered are about consistent with its competitors.
Drivers can get discounts for:
- Buying policies for multiple cars or bundling home and auto insurance
- Safe driving
- Paying for a year’s insurance upfront
- Using your car little or not at all
- Owning a car with safety equipment, like airbags
- Being a young driver who lives with their parents or is a good student
Erie Auto Insurance Quote Comparison
To understand how Erie’s car insurance rates compare against other insurers, we collected quotes from four companies for a range of different driving profiles. We found that Erie’s insurance rates were remarkably cheaper than its competitors.
Quotes we gathered from Erie Insurance were 32–38% cheaper than the average across all insurers, and Erie provided the cheapest annual premiums for a full coverage policy for each of our driver profiles.
Drivers looking to minimize their costs should take a careful look at Erie, as it is a strong candidate for the lowest car insurance rates in areas where it is offered.
Erie Home Insurance Coverage
Homeowners insurance from Erie provides all the typical coverages for your home. This includes coverage for your “dwelling,” or the structure of your home, your personal property inside it, liability protection in case someone is injured on your property, and additional living expenses if you’re unable to occupy your home.
Erie’s standard homeowner policy, which they call ErieSecure, offers a few additional benefits that you might not find at other insurers:
- Guaranteed replacement cost coverage is included in a standard policy for no additional fee
- Theft coverage includes coverage for mysterious disappearances/lost belongings
- Pets are covered up to $500
- Cash and precious metals covered up to $500
In addition, you can supplement your Erie homeowners policy with several custom options, including:
- Natural disaster coverage
- Jewelry and valuables coverage
- Service line and sewer protection
- Home business and rental income coverage
- Identity theft protection
Erie Homeowners Insurance Discounts
Erie provides a few opportunities for homeowners to reduce their rates for insurance, though the discounts they offer are fairly typical for insurance companies.
For example, customers can save money by:
- Buying multiple policies from Erie
- Equipping their homes with safety features like sprinklers or burglar alarms.
Additionally, it provides a discount for getting an insurance quote more than seven days before your current policy expires.
Erie Homeowners Quote Comparison
We collected homeowners insurance quotes at three different price points to see how Erie’s rates compared to other insurance companies.
Our findings showed that Erie home insurance is consistently among the lowest available to homeowners, with rates 31–40% cheaper than the average quote we received from other insurers.